Saturday, March 28, 2009

Progress

Hello friends!
I thought I would give you an update on my progress and show you how I keep track of it.

First, I have to say that I weigh myself every day. This is not for everyone, but it works for me. I don't pay much attention to the daily number (once upon a time I couldn't do that, I totally obsessed over it!), I just use it as a guide. I know that if the number on the scale spikes one day, I can usually look back on my food journal 2 days and see what was going on. Did I eat out with a friend that day? Did I cut loose and have too many alcoholic drinks? Did I journal that day at all (I've noticed that I don't tend to eat near as healthy, nor as moderately if I don't write it all down!)? The same goes for if the number is holding steady or dropping...I can look back and see what I was doing RIGHT! I also don't use this daily number to track my weight loss. So many things can affect that number. If you eat too much salt for instance, there's a good chance you will be retaining some water. Soda tends to have the same affect. For us women, PMS can have a huge affect. So can whether or not you are 'regular'; if you are have a bout with constipation, it does indeed show up on the scale.

So, how do I judge my weight loss? I have started averaging my weight every Monday. I didn't used to, but I needed to see that amid my ups and downs on my daily weigh-ins I was making some definite progress. Here is a pic of my line graph that I record my weights on. See the green line? That's my average weights...How encouraging is it to see that line going further and further down, and at a steady rate to boot!

**click on the thumbnail to see the full-size pic**

Photobucket

Have a healthy weekend y'all!
Hugs & happiness,
Photobucket

2 comments:

Mary Anne said...

Anita,
using the graph is an excellent way to chart your progress without the obsessing over daily numbers. It's looking like a nice steady decline on the chart too, which must be so encouraging for you!

A Knittin' Junkie! said...

Thank you so much Mary Anne. It has really been a big help to me that's for sure. Yes! It is very encouraging to see the steady decline. I have noticed that with the chart, even if I only lose 1/2 a pound it is still encouraging because I am able to see the decline on paper and that makes it more "real" I guess. I don't know, but it works!

---------------------------
Hugs, Health and Happiness,
♥♥Anita♥♥