Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Boys Knit!

You know, I just have to start off by saying that I SUCK at coming up with titles for my blog posts. I have read all of the tips for coming up with catchy titles, and I just can't do it! *sighs* Oh well.

I told you that I just might have a pattern for you over the weekend and I hate to disappoint. I have so many pics from my holiday knitting that I am just going through them in the order I took them and am sharing the pattern or pattern link for that item. Today I am sharing a link. I'll get to that in a minute. (aaahh...the suspense!)

I have to say that I love. love. love homeschooling my boys! I know that homeschooling is not for everyone, but I am here to tell you that it has been a huge blessing in my life. I love that I can choose what my children learn. I am quite eclectic in my teaching style. We do learn Math and Grammar from textbooks, but other subjects are learned hands-on and through life situations. We use a high school American History book as a springboard for Unit Studies. We use internet communications to sharpen up our Spelling and Grammar skills, as well as a Spelling textbook to work on our handwriting. We have taken a rock climbing class, we are learning ASL (American Sign Language) together and plan to learn Spanish as well as German, their Grandmother's native tongue. You know what else my 12 & 14 year old boys are learning? KNITTING! Yup, you read it right. My boys had zero interest in learning it and didn't want to either, yet both sat down without complaint when I made it a requirement for our homeschool. Sneaky huh?

Now nobody get your panties in a wad and carry on about how unfair that was of me because I did it for a reason. For one, I wanted to teach that you should be open minded and not label this craft as a "girlie" activity. I also wanted them to simply try something new and get out of their comfort zone just a little bit. I knew that knitting would help my youngest who is very ADD. I knew it would help because he doesn't get it from a stranger, I am very ADD myself and knitting is a God-send for me. Knitting is part of a Unit Study as well. Knitting not only counts as our art, but we learn math through knitting, history, we have even learned science through knitting.

I only required that they did all Unit Study work related to knitting and that they each pick out one project to do. The project had to involve both knitting and purling. They had to complete that one project and then they never had to pick up knitting again. My oldest, who was the more resistant before I made knitting a school subject this year, has really gotten into it. We were sitting there one evening knitting away together and out of the blue he pops off with "Hey, this would be really good to know in a 'survival' situation!" Go Jeremy! Damon likes to turn to his knitting when he starts to get frustrated and antsy with other subjects like Math and Grammar. It helps him to step away, refocus and relax so that he can get back to them with a fresher mind. Knitting is also known to help focus and retention of other subjects. How cool is that!

Damon's project was an iPod cozy for his girlfriend Erika for Christmas. We didn't go by a pattern, just cast on the number we thought would give us the width we needed and then worked a 2x2 ribbing until it was twice as long as we needed. We then folded it up and sewed the sides together with the CO & BO tails which we intentionally left long for that purpose. Darn it, I didn't even get a pic of it and I am so frustrated! *sighs* Oh well. Jeremy chose a free pattern for a dishcloth with a NASCAR theme by Woodhill Design Knits; Dale Earnhart Jr.'s #88 of course! And since he is still working on it, I do have a pic of that!
Photobucket
Believe it or not, Damon decided he wanted to start another project! Yet again, we aren't going by a pattern. My Damon is quite the little rocker dude and my younger brother Charlie gave him this hat for Christmas.
Photobucket
And my older brother Jeff, being a rocker dude from way-back-when, told Damon that the hat would look cool with a white band around it. Sooooo....Damon wanted to knit one! We have cast on the amount of stitches that he thought would come up with the width he wanted and he will continue knitting in rows until it gets long enough to fit around the hat then he will sew the two ends together and voila! My son is not only knitting, but he is designing as well!
Here is a pic of the boys' projects in the works, the way they keep them when they aren't working on them.
Photobucket

Now, what do you think about all that??
Yeah, I am one proud Mama!

Y'all have a great day and I'll catch'ya later!
Hugs...
Photobucket

17 comments:

Suzzanne said...

Anita, that's great! Pilot, who will be 4 in March wants to learn how to knit. He begged the lady at the craft store to teach him how. I don't know how to myself, any tips on getting started to teach him?

It sounds like you are doing a great job homeschooling. I'm really glad it works out for your family!

A Knitting Junkie said...

How cool that Pilot already wants to learn to knit! Some say that when young ones want to learn how to knit, to start them out with finger-knitting (using their fingers instead of knitting needles) so that they get used to the concept and the motions. Here are a couple of links that might help you know how to teach it, and my very favorite learning website-great for anyone!

http://www.maggiesrags.com/tips_children.htm
http://www.maggiesrags.com/tips_fingerknit.htm
http://www.how-to-knit-guide.com/knitting-for-kids.html

And my favorite is http://knittinghelp.com/ where they have awesome videos that show how to do darn near any-and-everything to do with knitting!

Good luck girlie, let me know how it goes!
Hugs...Anita

Anonymous said...

I homeschooled for 6 years and son who is 19 yr old now and in college has been knitting since he was about 13yr. old. He has done numerous washcloths, hats and sweaters/scarfs. In highschool everyone wanted him to make them something. It really evened out his thinking when he was upset. He will get back to it when shcool isn't taking up his time. Good for you to teach your sons...Ellen Perry

A Knitting Junkie said...

Hi Ellen,
It's great that your son has done so much with his knitting.
I hope that my boys grow to really enjoy it. If not, at least it is a skill that they know. You never know when it might come in handy.

Thanks so much!
Hugs...
Anita

DawnK said...

They're doing a great job knitting! Good for you! Your school sounds fun, too.

My almost 17yo daughter taught herself to knit watching videos on knittinghelp.com 2 years ago.

A Knitting Junkie said...

Hi Dawn,
That is awesome!
Thanks for your kind words hun.
I think I'll go scuttle off to visit your blog now!
Hugs...
Anita

Patt said...

That is just the best thing! YOu have got to be proud. I know I sure would be. Way to go hon.

A Knitting Junkie said...

Thanks Pat, glad you stopped by!
Anita

Daniele said...

Yay! We need more men knitters! Also, I've been trying to get my son (who is 22 now) to knit for years. Send me some Mom knitting mojo please!!! :)

A Knitting Junkie said...

Good Luck Daniele! I'm sending good Mom Knitting Mojo your way!
Hugs...
Anita

Anonymous said...

I am a homeschooling mom too!!Yeah!! I have two daughters 14 and 11. We have been homeschooling for three years. We Love it and I really wish we would have started sooner.

I agree it is wonderful to be able to teach them anything and knitting and crocheting is just as important as math or reading:) Well almost:)

I wish I could knit...I can crochet and that because I have been practicing for most of my 39 years:) I can make blankets and scarves and I hope to make a purse soon:)

How do you learn to knit?

Renee

KittsKrafts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KittsKrafts said...

My 14 year old home schooled son loves to crochet. He also likes to make seed bead bracelets. He also wants to sew purses but so far hasn't had time. This stuff all may sound "girly" to some but there is really nothing "girly" about being creative and talented. In the old days all the sewing people were tailors (i.e. DUDES lol). My son is VERY masculine. Between his schooling and piano (very gifted classical pianist) he doesn't have near enough time to devote to his crafty endeavors. Check out his Etsy store. www.pianofund.etsy.com
He does very fine work.

A Knitting Junkie said...

Hi Renee,
It is so cool that you homeschool too! And your girls are right at the same age as my boys. Jeremy is 14 and Damon is 12-until April, lol. I started homeschooling when the boys were starting 2nd and 3rd grades and I'm like you in that I wish I would have started sooner. I really wish I would have known it was an option when they started school, but I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason.

I know the how's and such of crochet, but I just can't seem to follow crochet patterns at all, and I get so mad, lol.

I went to a local yarn store and ask about learning, but I'll tell you that the single best resource that I have found for learning is honestly a website. http://www.knittinghelp.com/ has wonderful videos that are very east to follow and if you really want to learn how, I would recommend going there. I still go there for reference alot.

Good luck girlie, let me know how it goes!
Hugs,
Anita

A Knitting Junkie said...

Hello there Kitt!
Your son is the same age as my oldest! Jeremy however, not so crafty; lol. I have told the boys, knitting and such were originally 'manly' crafts. I have read your post about your son and his etsy shop. You are right, he does indeed do very fine work, and you do too! I can't wait until I get my income tax return so I can go shopping! I think that is awesome and I would love to hear him play the piano. If you get a chance, you should record him playing and add it to your blog! I have always dreamed of playing the piano.
Thanks for stopping by my friend.
Hugs,
Anita

Rebecca said...

Love it! Three cheers for homeschooling & knitting too!

A Knitting Junkie said...

Rebecca,

Thanks!

Hugs,
Anita